I completed the first edition of the novel in mid-December and made it available for purchase today.
I began planning the novel during the summer of 2005, after participating in the National Writing Project summer institute at Rider University. However, not until 2012 did I devote myself to the task in earnest, but still part-time. Now and again I worked on it while teaching writing and shared those small parts with the class. They were very interested and critical at times. Other than grunt work it was difficult to write during the school year or during the decompression time of July. I did a lot of the editing while waiting on benches at DMV, my son’s Irish dance classes, etc. I’m sure everyone thought I was wacko. Above is a photo of the hard copies. From 2012 to Jan 2015 there were ten total hard drafts of the book. The first draft was hand written. I would print out the draft, revise by hand, then type the changes then print again. That’s how I kept the word count in check. Beginning in 2015 I went to electronic editing. Above is a photo of the ten hard copies. The drafts to the right are the earlier ones. Each tab is a new draft. The first draft is the thin one on the bottom of the pile. The final draft is at the bottom of the stack to the left.